In support of the university’s institutional planning initiative, Toward New Destinations, the DFA & CIT Diversity Committee, in collaboration with departments in both units, has developed five annual initiatives from the Annual Initiatives menu of composition, engagement, inclusion, and achievement. These goals, which follow, were approved by the University Diversity Council in late September.
Summer Intern Program
- Create a potential future pipeline of diverse staff members by focusing on hiring students from under-represented groups and women with increased opportunities for self-development and learning about Cornell. See Summer Intern Program Expanded to Include Educational Programming.
Diverse Supplier Engagement
- Improve Cornell’s commitment to diversity and inclusion by developing biannual reporting to measure the number of diverse suppliers in relation to other vendors, creating a process for collecting data and reporting on dollars spent with diverse suppliers, and finding methods to increase Cornell’s spending with these vendors.
- Measure supplier commitment to social responsibility as part of a quarterly performance assessment, to recognize those suppliers supporting Cornell’s diversity goals.
- Highlight diverse suppliers as part of the launch of the new Procurement Gateway.
- Increase diversity awareness through “Respect@Cornell: Eliminating Harassment and Discrimination” as a launching pad for the overall diversity training initiative.
- Formalize a pilot career development program based on performance dialogues and including a mentoring program, to assist staff members to broaden skill sets, develop career paths within the unit, and assist in retention and recruitment.
- Develop and execute a communications strategy to Increase diversity awareness, highlight divisional activities and achievements, improve the climate, and encourage participation through websites, newsletters, posters, and other communication media.
The committee will publish to this blog progress on each of these goals, so keep checking back, or subscribe to receive e-mail updates using the Get E-mail Updates option to the right. If you have specific questions or feedback about this initiative, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.